Sunday, November 1, 2015

My Favorite First Dance Songs

As Dan and I continue to plan our wedding, I've been brainstorming a bunch of first dance ideas songs. The reason for the large number of songs is because Dan and I have extremely different tastes in music. I figured if I present him with a lot of options, maybe one of them would work for us. Since we will only be using one (or none if he throws a curve ball and comes up with something I like) I figured I'd share the contenders that are currently in my head.

All of these songs are pretty modern (i.e. released within the last 15 years) but I think would still work great for a first dance song. The lyrics of all of them are pretty adorable, and the tune would work for some kind of slow dance. Some are more slow and moving, while others have a bit of a faster, upbeat tone to them. So without further ado, here are my favorites so far.



1. I Choose You by Sara Bareilles- Link. There are so many Sara Bareilles songs that would work really well for a first dance song, but I ended up narrowing it down to this one. It's casual and comfortable, yet extremely beautiful- just like every day love. "And even better, I get to be the other half of you".



2. Everything by Michael Buble-Link. Ok Michael Buble fell into a similar category as Sara Bareilles- I love his voice and I think his jazzy/big-band voice would make for a timeless first dance song. Plus all of the ways he describes his partner is just adorable in this song. Refreshing, sweet, and fun.

3. Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran- Link. This is one of the most recent songs to make it onto this list. I love how this songs talks about love and how it grows and matures over time. Everyone gets older, beauty fades, and wrinkles appear on faces. However, a love that can sustain itself throughout a lifetime and into the golden years is one of the most beautiful kinds. This one is a bit raw and extremely romantic.



4. The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson- Link. Cute, quirky, and fun to dance to, this song would have been perfect for us. I think it really describes us as a couple- I'm a bit weird and silly at times, but he accepts me just the way I am. That is one of the things I love most about him. "Cause I love you more than I can ever promise, and you take me the way I am".

5. Lucky by Jason Mraz- Link. This one made the list because I absolutely love Jason Mraz, but I know Dan would never go a song by him (sigh). However if I had my way, I'd be happy to dance to this sweet, upbeat song. Plus it has Colbie Caillat as well? Talk about a winner.



6. Marry Me by Train- Link. I've listened to Train for a long time, so I'm not surprised this song made its way onto this list. I love how it talks about how getting married is only the start of a long journey, and that you choose to stay with your partner today and every day. It's a beautiful song with a good reminder in it for today and every day to come.

7. Dela by Johnny Clegg & Savuka- Link. This is the most fun loving song of the bunch. You really can't listen to this without smiling. It makes you want to get up and move, which would work perfectly for a dance song. It's sweet without being too cheesy, and it would be a fun uplifting piece with an impossibly catchy beat.



8. Out of My League by Stephen Speaks- Link. I first heard this song from a friend who sang it in person. I instantly loved the words and looked up the original version. It takes note of all the little things that you notice and love about your partner- the way they play with their hair, the color of their eyes, the way they say your name. It reminds you of when you had first fallen in love with that special someone, and how new and exciting those feelings were. It's important to keep building on that kind of love, in order to keep it from never getting old.



9. Crack the Shutters by Snow Patrol- Link. I've always loved Snow Patrol, but they aren't exactly the first band that comes to mind when you thinking wedding song. However, this simple, progressing melody and sweet heartfelt words would make for a really romantic song. Plus you'd be a bit alternative!

10. XO by John Mayer- Link. John Mayer has so many songs that I absolutely adore, but this is one of his most romantic pieces. It talks about a love only the two of you can see. It is your partner's love that lights up the room, and the only thing that really matters.

11. Latch (Acoustic) by Sam Smith- Link. It's funny because I heard the original radio version on the radio and didn't realize it was the same song when I saw them dancing to it during SYTYD. It is just so beautiful. I heard it during one of my yoga classes and went home and listened to it at least 10 times. It's one of those songs that holds up against time, even if its repeated over and over again.



Only time will tell if one of these becomes our first song, but I thought it would be fun to share!


No comments:

Post a Comment